We have specialist counsellors who are trained to counsel people who have been raped or sexually assaulted for clients referred to us through ‘The Saturn Centre’.
If you do get referred to us through The Saturn Centre we are funded to offer ten sessions of counselling, which can begin almost immediately, with further sessions possible.
The Saturn Centre provides a range of services to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted, their services are available to both women and men.
What happens at the Saturn Centre?
On arrival at the centre you will spend some time with a support worker, talking in confidence about your options and answering any questions you may have.
They can offer you support whether or not the police are involved. All of their services are confidential.
The Saturn Centre also offers the following immediate services:
- Forensic medical examination; This examination will be carried out by a specialist female or male doctor and as sympathetically as possible. The examination can be undertaken whether the police are involved or not.
- Screening for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections can be arranged by the centre.
At the Saturn Centre the doctor will ask your permission to take some forensic samples. If you agree, they can give those samples to police for forensic analysis without disclosing your identity. The police will then store your samples until you have decided whether or not you want to talk to them.
If the forensic analysis identifies evidence that is of particular interest to the police we will contact you and give you the details, as this might help when making your decision.
Follow up services
Everyone understands that the effects of rape or sexual assault can take time to resolve. The assault may have happened a long time ago but is still affecting your life and well-being. The Saturn Centre provides a professional victim focused service, that gives you access to a wide range of support, advice and services.
- Can provide a specialist dedicated support worker who will keep in touch with you and provide you with information about other services or organisations that may be of some help for you.
- Give support by a witness care officer who will liaise with you, the police and the Crown Prosecution Service so that you are informed with all developments in your case. If that is the path you want to take.
- Counselling, we can provide you with information about the services that are available within your area to help you come to terms with the effects of what has happened and for a confidential ear to listen to.
- Support through criminal proceedings can also be provided.
- Assistance with criminal injury compensation claims where trained members of staff at the centre can explain the system to you.
If you would like to know more information about the centre and the services they offer you can ring them on: 01293 600469 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm or alternatively visit their website at http://www.saturncentre.org/